Jewelry is a weak point of any woman. Every girl is searching for ways to enrich her outfit and stand out in a crowd. However, it is difficult to be original when all the ladies shop from the most popular stores. How to make a statement and be unique? The answer is simple: wearing a ribbon necklace.
Beading and jewelry designs have always been popular among the people who like crafting and who wear hand-made items. The general belief is that you need tons of expensive materials and a lot of patience to work with tiny objects.
It may be true in some cases but usually is a lot easier than that. There are plenty of simple ways in which you can create a beautiful ribbon necklace to proudly wear at special occasions or even on a daily basis.
There are dozens of types of ribbon necklaces, and you can use plenty of methods such as knotting, wiring, wrapping, etc. However, in this article, you will learn how to create a simple and beautiful knotted ribbon necklace.
There are three major ways in which you can make a knotted ribbon necklace: using just one ribbon, using multiple ribbons, or mixing ribbon with beads.
Crafting A Knotted Ribbon Necklace with Only One Piece of Ribbon
Choose the proper piece of ribbon
It doesn’t matter too much what kind of ribbon you are using. Try to avoid, however, the fabrics that will not hold a knot in place. You can also choose how narrow or wide the ribbon will be, according to your preferences: wider ribbon creates bigger knots.
Have A Measurement Tool Around the Work Area
You must accurately measure the ribbon because you will need the length that you want to have around your neck, plus half that length added in order to allow space for making the knots.
Place The Ribbon On Your Table
Lay the piece of ribbon on a table or any other flat surface. This way it will be 100% flat and you can easily work with it.
Start Making the Knots
Make a knot in the ribbon at one end. However, do not pull it too tight, yet.
Continue to Make Knots
Make another knot in the ribbon. Again, remember to pull it gently. Furthermore, do not pull the knots very tight if you are going to make some more.
Make A Knot and Repeat
Continue the knot process until you run out of ribbon or have enough knots in the length for the model you desire.
Tight Up the Knots
Now is time to pull firmly the ribbon, in order for the knots to close.
The Final Step
This is the part of the process in which you can embellish the ribbon necklace. You can decorate it with additional elements such as little ribbon bows which you can glue against the necklace surface. That’s all! You are finished!
How to Make a Multi-Knotted Ribbon Necklace?
If you want to have a wider piece of jewelry, then you can use more than one piece of ribbon.
- Choose a bundle of ribbons for making this necklace. Feel free to pick any colors or sizes you want. Unleash your imagination and creativity. You can use complementary colors. The number of ribbons you will need depends on how big you want the ribbon necklace to be.
- Pick the length of the necklace. Decide how long you want it to be. This way you will know how long each knotted ribbon will need to be. To discover the desired length, grab a piece of string and wrap it around your neck in a loose way. Stand in front of a mirror and keep moving the string until you get the length that you want. However, make sure to add a little bit more ribbon to have enough for the knots.
- Let the knotting process begin. Start knotting lengths of ribbon together. Choose different lengths and colors or patterns of ribbon and begin knotting them together to make the length that you have chosen for your creation.
- Continue making your desirable necklace by creating as many lengths as you want. You can create as many lengths as you want. However, it is recommended to make at least five for the necklace to look interesting.
- The finishing touch. When you knotting process has finished, draw them together, end to end. You can even stitch one button at one end in order for the necklace to remain intact. Be careful when you choose the button. It should be big enough to not fall through but not too big, otherwise, it will not fit through the loop.
Original Knots and Beads Ribbon Necklace
In order for you to embellish and enrich your necklace, you can add some beads to it.
- Pick an interesting ribbon, one that matches your selected beads.
- Measure the ribbon’s length and after that double the measured size. This is a good thing to take into consideration in order to make sure that all the beads will properly fit in. to cut the ribbon do the same thing as for mentioned above: grab a piece of string and hold it around your neck. Keep moving and switching the string until you achieve the desired length.
- Choose the beads. They can be of any color and length you want. Though, make sure to always match bigger beads with wider knots and smaller beads with narrower knots.
- Put the first bead in the middle of the ribbon. Take it to the center of the ribbon and then knot each side of the ribbon necklace to keep it in place.
- Keep adding the beads. Add the next bead to one side of the central bead. Knot it to firmly keep it on the ribbon.
- Don’t stop until you have added all the beads. Add the next bead to the other side of the center bead. Knot in place.
- Continue adding as many beads as you want. You may add fewer bigger beads or you can stick to smaller beads and add more. You can even choose to add just a few beads and leave the rest of the ribbon necklace as it is.
- Finishing the ribbon necklace. You can knot the edges together, or attach a clip or a button.
All these three types of ribbon necklaces are great to try and wear. There are just a few simple steps to follow and you can create a very beautiful ribbon necklace. Don’t panic if it does not work from the first time. Keep trying until you have gained enough skills and experience to create wonderful craft items.